Ko Pha-ngan Information
As a natural paradise island in the Southern Gulf of Thailand, Ko Pha Ngan serves as the perfect getaway retreat, where one may go relaxing on the many quiet deserted beaches including the beautiful Chalok lam Bay, Ban Tai, Ban Khai, Haad Yao, Haad Salat, Haad Son and the Mae Haed beaches. There are many activities in which to participate including snorkeling and learning to dive at the distinctive island of Ko Ma, trekking in the footsteps of Thai Royalty at Than Sadet National Park steeped in history and culture, or seeking adventure in the nearby Ang Thong archipelago composed of over 40 islands endowed with pristine beaches, natural caves and the tranquil Tha Laem Nai. Ko Pha Ngan has over 250 resorts to choose from, ranging from the budget 80 baht a night beach hut without private toilet to luxury air-conditioned accommodation with private swimming pool.
It’s the simple beach life which continues to attract visitors each year along with the island’s reputation for full moon parties and a hedonistic approach to life. The backpackers, budget tourists and aging hippies are beginning to give way to families and more mainstream tourists as all the beaches are fully developed. The full moon party consists of tens of thousands in high season - all on the beach. Revelers from all over the world still flock to the world’s biggest beach party every month. The music from the multiple sound systems is made up mostly of electronic styles such as Psytrance, house, techno and drum & bass and a predominantly youthful crowd dance ’til dawn on party nights. It has been reported that western tourists have been victims of unprovoked assaults by gangs on a number of occasions, particularly around the time of the full moon parties late at night in the vicinity of bars in Haad Rin. Other events such as the Half Moon Party and Black Moon Party also attract large crowds. Despite the special titles the events on the beach are identical every single night. However, it is still possible to visit the island and avoid the full moon party altogether, with dozens of quiet, secluded resorts and beach huts dotted all over the island for a variety of prices. Many of the more costly resorts offer such facilities as daily yoga, yoga teachers’ training, meditation, a variety of healing, healthy & natural therapies, spa massage & pampering services and herbal steam rooms.
LongtailOther activities available on the island include scuba diving with a number of companies offering very reasonably priced training courses and excursions, snorkelling, especially off the Mae Haad sandbar in the north west, wakeboarding, archery, fishing, walks in the national park or simply relaxing in the company of other farangs or the friendly locals
- Than Sadet-Ko Pha-Ngan National Park The park is named after the river Than Sadet (lit. Royal River). The river forms the largest waterfall on the island, which was visited by several Thai kings. Especially Rama V liked the placed and visited 14 times.
- Visit the beautiful waterfalls and lookouts in the interior of the island.
- The herbal sauna at Wat Pho is a great relief after long party nights. It’s near the 7/11 branch in Baan Thai, on the south-western side of the island. Don’t forget to leave a donation, always wear a sarong (over your bikini) - remember that you are on temple-territory and locals find nudity offensive. This is not a European sauna, sitting naked will get you into trouble.
- If you’re into fire, you’ll find spinners and twirlers on many of the beaches, teachers abund and poi are easy to find.
- Visit Ko Ma off the north-west coast of Ko Pha Ngan.It offeres one of the best snorkeling places on the island.
- On the road between Thongsala and Chaloklum is beautiful Chinese Temple with overlooking on Chaloklum Bay.
- There is a Elephant Camp on the way from Baan Tai to Thong Nai Pan, take a photo or try trekking through the jungle.
- Explore the beauty of Phangan Island, through exciting day, evening and adventure tours. Experience, diving, snorkeling, kayaking, speed boat excursions to Ang Thong National Marine Park, Muay Thai, fishing trips, cultural tours, elephant riding, enjoy the beauty of nature that the Koh Maa area has to offer and have a relaxing boat trip. With so many things to see and do your time in Koh Phangan will be truly memorable.
- Scuba Diving Koh Pha-Ngan has lovely sites around the island which are perfect for both beginners and trained divers. From easy dives off the beach to longer trips by boat you can experience the world of tropical diving. The waters around Koh Pha-Ngan are much nicer than most people know: fine hard corals with a good range of reefs and tropical/pelagic fish. Sailrock, undoubtedly the most famous dive site in the Gulf of Thailand. Located between Koh Pha-ngan and Koh Tao all the wonders of this exciting site can be explored by all levels of divers. This spectacular rock rises out of the water creating the best wall dive with a maximum depth of 40 metres. Providing a great range of marine life, spectacular underwater scenery, rock formations. There are several PADI dive-schools on the island
- Full Moon Party - if you’re after party heaven you can’t do better than Haad Rin, an expanded village of beach bars, cheap chicken burgers, and low cut figure-hugging outfits. It is most popular one night a month - the night of the Full Moon Party. Every bar is hopping, the beaches packed with trance, dance, buckets, and various other suspicious substances. However, if the sight of thousands of bottles and other trash repulses you, make sure you leave the beach area before the sun comes up, or grab a garbage bag and help tidy up a little. If you’re not on Ko Pha Ngan during the full moon, don’t worry: there are other parties to be had, including Half Moon (2 times a month), Black Moon, Jungle Parties, as well as the Shiva Moon party. There is always something to do in Ko Pha Ngan.
- Trip Around The Island One day in Paradise, see everything interesting in one day trip. Daily Tour. Visit Chinese Temple, Elephant Camp, Bottle Beach, Thong Nai Pan, Thansadet Waterfalls, see monkey show, wonderful snorkeling.. have a fun with your friends.CC5522F3.htm
If you have any suggestions or comments, please e-mail us